Blue Star

Known Name(s)

Blue Star


9770 Crain Highway Faulkner (Newburg), Maryland

Establishment Type(s)


Physical Status



The motel was a two-part building that responded to the long narrow site on the east side of US 301.  The exterior was of red brick with louvered windows and flat roofs supported by clerestory windows that are also described as monitors.  The plans show two 8-room units for each wing.  

Detailed History

The Blue Star Motel in Faulkner got its start in 1953 when the Alphil Building Corporation took a mortgage to pay for design and construction of the building designed by the New York, NY engineer Abraham N. Sirof. The plans were filed in the Charles County Plat Book 6 on pages 15, 17, 19, 20, 22 and 39 on February 6, 1953. The Blue Star was first listed in the 1958 Green Book, but the hotel had been constructed by 1955 when it the owners borrowed funds to pay for the motel's furniture and equipment. In 1955, the AAA began to market its travel services to middle-class African American motorists, and the logo on the motel's sign indicates that association. Business was not prosperous and by 1960, the motel had been taken over by the Plaza Motel Corporation and given the name “The Mayflower.” By the 1970s, it was called “The Charm” in the local business directory. In 1980, it was sold to antiques and flea market dealers for use as a roadside antique mall. The building was demolished in the 1990s.

Related Issues