G. E. Depuy

Known Name(s)

G. E. Depuy ()
G. E. Depuy ()


710 Morrison St. Watertown, NY (1939, 1940, 1941)
711 Morrison St. Watertown, NY (1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966)

Establishment Type(s)

Tourist Home

Physical Status



710 Morrison Street is on the North Side of Watertown, not far from the New York Central Freight House and train tracks. This house is a one-story L-shaped frame structure with the long leg of the L running parallel with Morrison Street. The area between the leg and base of the L is occupied by a front porch. A 1950 Sanborn map shows two extensions off the rear, one at either end. The house is clad in gray asphalt siding, which has been partially covered recently (2022) with new gray vinyl siding. 

711 Morrison Street is on the North Side of Watertown, not far from the New York Central Freight House and train tracks. This house is located next door to the Thomas Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a one-and-a-half story building with the gable end facing the street. A 1958 Sanborn map shows a porch on the side facing the church, which has since been enclosed. Since 1958, additions to the rear and church side have filled much of the lot. These include two small attached garages. The structure is covered in wide white aluminum siding. 


Detailed History

The 710 Morrison Street Green Book listing is across the street from 711 Morrison Street, a property with documented connections to Glen and Clara DePuy. It does not appear that this site was connected to the DePuys, although evidence from 1939-1941 is scant. The earliest known records indicate that the building was home to Howard C. Malady and Arvilla B. Cummings in 1926. In 1927, Mrs. George F. Cummings of 710 Morrison St. joined the North Side League Auxiliary. By 1968, the building was the residence of Robert E. Campbell, a laborer, who married Mrs. Beatrice Benway, engaged in keeping house. Robert Campbell died two years later in 1970. According to one of the neighbors of the property, this house is currently owned by a gentleman living on the same block residing in 742 Morrison Street.

The dwelling at 711 Morrison Street was the residence of Glen W. and Clara DePuy by 1950. As reported in the newspaper, this location became a place for social gatherings hosted by Clara. In 1968, Mr. Depuy was arrested for driving without a license and for violating parole in New Jersey related to a larceny charge. He was released from jail in Watertown March of 1968 to be turned over to New Jersey authorities. The DePuys bought a parcel in Pillar Point on Lake Ontario's Black River Bay across from Sackets Harbor in July of that same year.

Related Issues