Mrs. E. C. Yeager Tourist Home

Known Name(s)

Mrs. E. C. Yeager Tourist Home


1406 Mattison Ave. Asbury Park, NJ

Establishment Type(s)

Tourist Home

Physical Status



The house at 1406 Mattison is on the corner of Mattison and Elizabeth Avenues in a residential section north of Springwood Avenue on Asbury Park’s West Wide. The 1930 Sanborn insurance map depicted a rectangular, frame house, two-story in the center and one story on the north, west, and south sides. The house retains this general form today, with an open, yet roofed patio to the rear.

Sources: Sanborn Map Co., Insurance Maps of New Jersey Coast, New Jersey, Vol. 2 (1930), sheet 208.

Detailed History

The Yeager residence at 1406 Mattison was listed as a tourist home in The Green Book from 1938 through 1967, first, in 1938 and 1939 under “Mrs. E. C. Yeager,” and, from 1940 and again from 1946 through 1967 simply under “E. C. Yeager.”

Laura M. and Elliott C. Yeager, who owned their home, were recorded in the 1940 census as African-American, with Mrs. Yeager born in Ashville, North Carolina, and Mr. Yeager in Newberry, South Carolina in 1882. Mr. Yeager was a waiter in a hotel, while Mrs. Yeager was a housewife. Longtime residents of Asbury Park, Mrs. Yeager died at 82 in 1968, and Mr. Yeager in 1964 at 84.

Sources: US census, 1940; Polk’s Asbury Park City Directory, 1937 and 1940; “Elliott C. Yeager,” Asbury Park Press, July 20 1964; “Mrs. Elliot C. Yeager,” Asbury Park Press, 29 May 1968.


J. Shaffer

Related Issues