Known Name(s)



13 6th Avenue N. St. Cloud, MN

Establishment Type(s)

Hotel, Restaurant, Bowling Alley

Physical Status


Detailed History

It was bought by Peter Spaniol in 1888 and remained in the family for 80+ years. There was a 1928 renovation that changed the former billiard parlors into an auxiliary dining room and added fountain service. It was also a hotel. In 1968, it was sold to St. Cloud Business College to turn the second and third floors into a residence for 100 women students, plus there was a cafeteria and teen club in basement. Alternative names include Spaniol Recreation Building, Spaniol Building, and Spaniol Hotel (as of 1968).

Learn more at

Related Issues