Trade Winds Motor Ct.

1967 postcard of the Trade Winds Motor Court 

See larger version

Postcard of the Trade Winds Motor Court before its expansion in 1956 

See larger version

Last known photo of the Trade Winds Motor Court from 1996 

See larger version

2022 Google Streetview photo of the apartment building that stands where the Trade Winds Motor Court used to 

See larger version

Known Name(s)

Trade Winds Motor Ct.


1141 Yonkers Ave. Yonkers, NY

Establishment Type(s)

Motor Court

Physical Status



The Trade Winds Motor Court started as an L-shaped motel finished mostly in brick. It was two stories with a flat roof and a flat awning over the first-floor entrance and lobby. In the most recent photo, the awning was dark teal. In 1956, a three-story expansion was added to the west side of the motel. Post-expansion, the building formed a C-shape around a parking lot. There were divided light windows along both floors of the original building. Stairs were located on the ends of the floors to allow visitors to get into the second-floor rooms. Around the front entrance, there appears to have been a stone facade with several larger windows, including one rounded around the corner. In later years, the corner window was boarded up. Above the corner was a metal sign that read Trade Winds Motor Court. At one point, the building had small grassy areas and plants around it. There was one small chimney in the north corner. The Motor Court was demolished and as of 2023, the lot is occupied by an apartment building.

Detailed History

The Trade Winds Motor Court was built in Yonkers in 1954. Sometimes referred to as Trade Winds Motel, the business also housed a restaurant called Ruth & Bill’s. It also accommodated several hair salons including Charlee Brown’s and O’Calcutter, Too. In the 1980s, the Motel introduced nightly rates which caused some controversy in the area. The motel’s history is marked by an unfortunate series of crimes starting in the mid 1950s and lasting until it was destroyed in 2002. Throughout this time, the motel was also used as temporary housing for homeless families. In 1984, former city councilman Michael F. Cipriani admitted that during his term (1978-1983), he tried to limit the number of minority patrons of the Motel to 15%. He cited the rampant crime in and near the motel as the reasoning for his quota when he had to testify in Federal court in the Yonkers segregation trial. Demolition officially began in 1999 as part of a court-ordered housing effort in Yonkers following the desegregation case in 1993.

Related Issues