Zion Inn

Known Name(s)

Zion Inn


UT-9 Zion National Park, Hurricane, UT

Establishment Type(s)


Physical Status



Photo "Breakfast at the Zion Inn" courtesy of Southern Utah University.

Phote of Zion Camp Center crew, circa 1947, courtesy of Southern Utah University.

Detailed History

The Zion Inn was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood and finished in 1934. It was altered in 1974 for use as a nature center for the park. It originally served guests as a cafeteria, dining hall, and gift shop. It was also the office for guests staying in adjacent cabins near the present-day South Campground. Today the building hosts children's programs and other campground activities.

In the 1959 Green Book issue, the address is listed as: "Opens May 15th to Oct. 15th."

Sources consulted:

"Zion National Park Historic Register Survey," National Archives. Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey, HABS Utah, 27-spda.v,7a-.


Related Issues