Testimony of James Coleman on Behalf of Reuben Hammett
June 2, 1873

Fellow solider James Coleman testified on behalf of Reuben Hammett to prove when he served and that he died as a result of illness while in the army.

State of Missouri.}
County of Macon.} s.s.

On this 2nd day of June, AD 1873, before me a notary public within and for the County and State aforesaid, personally appeared James Coleman, of Macon City, Macon County, Missouri, who being duly sworn according to law, says: That he was late a private in Co. “[E].” 68th U.S. Col’d Troops; that he was enrolled at Macon City, Mo, on the 9th day of March, A.D. 1864; that he was personally acquainted with Reuben Hammett who was enrolled on the same day & at the same place; that they left Macon for St. Louis on the evening of the 10th of March 1864; together; that when they arrived at Benton Barracks a great number of the Soldiers had the Measles and the said Hammett caught them soon after his arrival and from exposure they settled on his lungs and when the company was mustered he was unfit for service on account of said disease and that he died of inflammation of the lungs about 3 weeks after being enrolled; further that he has every reason to believe that the said Hammett was a sound man at date of his enlistment, and that his death was caused by said disease contracted in the service of the United States, and that he is not interested in any claim in which this affidavit may be used.

James his X mark Coleman

attest. J. W. McGindley          

B. F. Stone

Sworn to and subscribed before me on the date first written and I hereby certify that affiant is a person of respectability and credibility and that the contents of the foregoing was by me fully read and explained to affiant before signing, and that I am in no wise interested.

[Assistant?] McGindley
Notary Public

cert. on file in Pens office

SOURCES

Pension Records for Reuben Hammett, RG 15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.