Henry Armstrong's Wound Testimony vs. Medical Diagnosis
February 13, 1891

Henry Armstrong's description of his wound was compared to a medical examination performed to determine whether his injury merited a pension increase.

GENERAL AFFIDAVIT.

State of Virginia County of Gloucester ss.

In the matter of the claim of Henry Armstrong Co. G. 38th U.S.C.T. No. 913 [no. 3] 15 Pension

ON THIS 13th day of February A.D. 1891 personally appeared before me, a S. V. Corbell  Depty Clerk, in and for the aforesaid County, duly authorized to administer oaths, Henry Armstrong aged 60 years, a resident of  in the County of Gloucester and State of Virginia well known to me to be reputable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declares in relation to aforesaid case as follows: (Note–Affiants should state how they gain a knowledge of the facts to which they testify.)

I was in the U.S. Army, Company G. 38 Regt Cold. Infantry

I enlisted in August, 1864. I was wounded in the head in the battle of Deep Bottom, by a Sabre. I contracted Rheumatism while in the army, and still have it, so bad, that at times it confines me to bed, I was discharged in Richmond in 1867 and have not been in the Army since. During the summer my head is so affected that I cannot do any thing (the result of the blow of the Sabre on my head [)]

His Post Office address is James Store Gloucester Co Va

I. further declares that I have no interest in said case and am not concerned in its prosecution.

J. F. Sales

[Robt?] F. Ross

(If affiant signs by mark, two persons who can write sign here.)

Henry his x cross Armstrong
(Signature of affiant.)

Increase Pension Claim No. 687472

Henry Armstrong, Rank, Pvt. Company G., 38 Reg’t U. S. C. Inf. Hampton Va. State, James Store, Gloucester Co. VaAug. 28, 1897.

We hereby certify that in compliance with the requirements of the law we have carefully examined this applicant, who states that he is suffering from the following disability, incurred in the service, viz: Wound of head, rheumatism & disease of heart. and that he receives a pension of 6 dollars per month. 

He makes the following statement upon which he bases his claim for Increase

I have a pain in my side sometimes.

Upon examination we find the following objective conditions: Pulse rate, 80; respiration, 18; temperature, 98.6; height, 5 feet 2 3/4 inches; weight, 135 pounds; age, about 67 years.

Wound of Head–He has a superficial scar across the scalp as shown on diagram[.] This involves only the skin, the bone being not depressed & not affected. Not tender. We find no disability from this scar. Rate 0/18.

Rheumatism–There is apparently considerable stiffness of the joints of the leg as claimed which makes him rather slow in getting around. No tenderness nor pain of any joint no atrophy of muscles. No contraction of tendons. Rate 2/18.

Dis. of Heart–Pulse-rate sitting 80. Standing 84 There is a systolic murmur at apex, No pulse felt in 5th interspace. No oedema. No egonosis. No dyspnoe. Rate 6/18.

Lungs free from evidence of disease.

Urine Clear, spec. [pov?]. 1020 Acid, No albumin 

No sugar.

No other disability found to exist.

No evidence of vicious habits.

J. H. Peers, Pres. W. A. Plecker, Sec’y. J Wilton Hope, Treas.

“I hereby certify that Dr. J. H. Peers, Dr. W. A. Plecker, and Dr. J. Wilton Hope, were personally present and actually participated in the examination of Henry Armstrong, the claimant in this case on 21 day of Aug., 1897.”

W. A. Plecker

SOURCES

Pension Records for Henry Armstrong, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.