Testimony of George W. Lewis on Behalf of James H. Garland
December 26, 1888

Fellow soldier George W. Lewis testified on behalf of James H. Garland as regards his wartime service and inability to work due to illness contracted during that time.

(3—446.)

DEPOSITION

Case of James H. Garland, No. 316813

On this twenty sixth day of December, 1888, at Deponents Home, County of Mercer State of Pa, before me, N. H. Stevens, a Special Examiner of the Pension Office, personally appeared George Lewis ——, who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to him during this Special Examination of aforesaid pension claim, deposes and says: My name is George Lewis. Residence and post-office address Indian Run, Mercer Co., Pa. Age about fifty five years. Occupation farmer. I was a member of C.A. 127” U.S. Colored Troops. Claimant was a member of the same company. We enlisted in August 1864 and were discharged in August 1865. I know claimant from his boyhood. I am sure claimant was sound at the time he enlisted. We were stripped and thoroughly examed before muster. I never knew of heard of claimants being sick or of his having rheumatism before enlistment. At Fort Harrison, near Richmond, Va., claimant contracted rheumatism from exposure. We were bunkmates at the time. Claimant was sent to hospital on account of rheumatism some time in the winter. I think it was in Feb. 1865. Claimant was very lame. I do not know that claimant incurred any other disability than rheumatism in service. Claimant was suffering with rheumatism at the time he was discharged from service. I saw claimant often for the first year after discharge. I saw him in Mercer and at New Castle. I cannot give dates. I cannot read or write. I signed an affidavit before Squire Farrell of West Middlesex some four of five years ago. I have seen claimant occasionally since service and whenever I have seen him he has been more or less crippled by rheumatism. I think that is the affidavit I signed. Shown Exhibit #5. My wife recognizes it as she witnessed my mark. Just after service when I often saw claimant he was totally unfit for heavy manual labor. I am not related to claimant and have no interest in the prosecution of this claim. I have understood your questions and my answers have been correctly recorded. 

George his x mark Lewis.
Deponent.

Witness
Caroline M Lewis                                                                                                    

Sworn to and subscribed before me this 26” day of Dec., 1888, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing. 

N.H. Stevens,
Special Examiner

State of Pennsylvania. County of Mercer ss

In the Matter of James H. Garland No 316.813 for Origional Invalid Pension George Lewis of East LaKewannock Township Mercer County and State of Pennsylvania whoes Post Office address is Indian Run P.O. being duly Sworn according to law. Says in relation to the above case. I am about fifty years of Age. have been aquainted with him for over thirty years. In the later part of the year 1864 the applicant was taken sick (when we laid at Fort Harrison in the state of Va) with pains all over and lame So that He could not March He was Sent to the Hospital and I think he was away about three months and he was Crippled and lame when he came back to the Company and it was then Known to be rheumatism that he had. I Know all about his rheumatism but cannot give the dates James. H. Garland was a good Solider & allways done his duty when he was able I know the above facts for the following reasons. We lived together in the Same township (East LaKewannock) and Same Co when we both enlisted in the Same Company & Regiment Company “A” 127 Regt. U.S.C.T we ware discharged at the same time and come to Mercer Mercr County Pa and lived in the Same place (Mercer) for perhaps One Year after we ware discharged I Seen Garland tw[o] or three times every week and every time I Seen him he was lame & Suffering with Rheumatism I have Seen but a few times Since he left Mercer but every time I have seen him he was lame & Stiff from Rheumatism. I am not concerned not intrested in this case for Pension. 

George His x Mark Lewis

Witnesses
Caroline Lewis
DA Lewis

Sworn & Subscribed before me this 28” day of July AD 1884 & I certify that I am not concerned in this case for Pension & I certify that the contents of the above was fully made Known to the deponant before he was Sworn & before he made his mark

David Farrell J.P.

SOURCES

Pension Records for James H. Garland, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.