Testimony of James T. Battles
January 4, 1900

James T. Battles gave a detailed account of his medical and military history in order to secure a pension.

3—456.

DEPOSITION “A.”

Case of James T. Battles Cpt., No. 591,418.

On this day of Jany. 1900, at Newaygo, County of Newaygo State of Mich., before me, James A. Hunt. a special examiner of the Bureau of Pensions, personally appeared James T. Battles [Col?]., who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to him during this special examination of aforesaid claim for pension, deposes and says: I am 57 years of age; my post=office address is same as above, occupation truck gardner when able to work. 

I served as a Private in Co. “B.” 102-U.S.C. Vol Inft. from Sept. 3-1864- to Sept. 30-1865. 

I never had any service in the army or navy other than that stated above. 

For five years before enlistment I resided at Niles, Berrien Co. Mich. and my occupation was carpenter. My neighbors were Mrs Charles Harris, Mrs Susan WinbornGeorge Winborn or Winborn & Calvin Wilson all of Niles Berrien Co. Mich. 

I do not remember of ever having a physician before service as I was a stout healthy young man. 

At enlistment I was stripped of all my clothing and had a thorough medical examination sounded about sounded me about my chest, [percuss?] about &c&c. Ezekil Harris, whereabouts unknown & John Battles, P.O. Chicago Ill. St. & No. I do not know, were examined when I was. 

I do not know the name of the examining Surg. I claim pension under the general law on account of rheumatism mostly in my legs but in fact at times all over me, I also had the mumps while in the service and they went down on me and I am claiming for disease of testicles the result of the mumps, also a slight sunstroke incurred either in June or July 1865. 

I also claim for heart disease the result of rheumatism and disease of eyes the result of my sunstroke. 

Q. When and where and under what circumstances did you contract rheumatism?  

A. Well I hardly know how to answer that question as I was lame in the Army and had aching pains in my legs and body this was at Georgetown S.C. about Aug 1865 as near as I can remember dates. 

Q. When where & under what circumstances did you contract the mumps

A. While on the march from Charleston S.C. to Georgetown S.C. that was in June or July 1865, and I got cold in the mumps and they went down on me and my testicles all swelled up and I suffered dreadful pain from the same and have ever since discharge at times. 

Q. When did you incurre the sunstroke? 

A. While on the same march that I contracted my mumps and about the same time. 

My heart disease is a result of my rheumatism I had the mumps before I had the rheumatism. I never was treated for any of my diseases in any hospital, but was treated in Company Quarters at Georgetown S.C. I was so sick when my regiment moved from Georgetown S.C. that they left me behind, and I was not in any quarters except a pup tent. It rained the night we arrived at Georgetown S.C. and I got wet through and that caused my mumps to [slither?] down on me. 

My tent mate while in the service was Ezekil Harris, whereabouts unknown to me. 

Harris went away with the regiment and left me at Georgetown S.C. but I cannot remember the name of the person who was left at Georgetown S.C. when I was. There were soldiers about there (Georgetown S.C.) but do not think any of my regiment except myself was left behind.

I was so sick and in such pain that I did not pay attention to who was at Georgetown S.C. while I was there. 

Q Who of your comrades will know of your contracting the alleged disabilities named above? 

A. I suppose that Joseph Letts (checked), P.O. Remus Mecosta Co Mich & Charles R. Letts (checked) P.O. Millbrook Mecosta Co. Mich. & Charles Barr (checked), Remus Mich. will know about my incurring the alleged disabilities

I have heard you read the list of Comrades but whether they will know about my disabilities I do not know as I have never seen but one of them James H. Ford since my discharge. 

I do not know the name of any of the physicians who treated me while in the Army. 

My health at discharge was poor I was suffering from a general breaking down of my whole system and was sick for a year or more before I was able to go to work after discharge from the Army. 

I came direct to my home at Niles, Mich. after my discharge my testicles was very sore and the cord on the out side swelled as large as my finger and nearly made me crazy with pain. I also had pains in my legs and back and at times it would be in my arms and shoulders. I did not have any medical treatment at Niles, Mich. I moved up Pine River, Lake Co. Mich. then went to Traverse City, Mich. Then came to Newaygo Mich where I have lived ever since. 

James T. Battles
Deponent

Sworn to and subscribed before me this 4 day of Jany 1900, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing. 

James A Hunt
Special Examiner. 

3—456.

DEPOSITION “A.”

Case of James T. Battles Cpt., No. 591,418.

On this day of Jany. 1900, before me, James A. Hunt. a special examiner of the Bureau of Pensions, personally appeared claimant continued, who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to h~ during this special examination of aforesaid claim for pension, deposes and says: I am ~ years of age; my post-office address is ~

Only stopped at Pine River Mich. about a month did not stop in Traverse City Mich. only a few days. 

My health was poor all that time but I had to do what I could as I had a wife dependent on me. 

My physicians since I have been here were Dr McCormick “Deceased,” Dr Ely “Dead,” Dr Massey P.O. Newaygo, Mich Dr Flora Newaygo Mich, and Dr — Coon P.O. Grand Rapids Mich. I do not know the dates or years they treated me. 

My neighbors since I have been living here were Lucius Gates, Newaygo Mich Elizabeth Love, [Newton?] Mich 

I do not know of any others as those who were my neighbors years ago have died or moved to parts unknown to me. 

I forgot there is Harried Lowry P.O. So. Bend Ind. She is stopping with a party named Lane occupation laying side walk. Lane is a colored man. 

I have not done hard manual labor since service done some garden trucking always worked for my self, never worked for other parties. 

My eyes have troubled me a great deal since service which I attribute to my sunstroke I got in the service. 

I received my sun stroke on the march from Charleston S.C. to Georgetown S.C. about well I do not know the date or month but it was in the summer of 1865. I was not unconscious from the sunstroke until I got to Georgetown S.C. did not go to any hospital. All I know that was done for me was one dose of pills, do not know the Surg. who gave it to me. 

I forgot to tell you that Dr P. Dromond of Grant Newaygo Co has treated me some since service. Yes I have taken different kinds of potent medicines names I forget when ever I would hear of something that had helped others I would get some for my self. 

My heart bothers me a good deal am short of breath and at times have pain in and about my heart. 

I am now pensioned under the new law at 600 per month for rheumatism. 

I think my rheumatism is the worse, although I have a good deal of pain in my testicles especially when ever I catch cold they swell and the cord on my bag swels and pains me dreadful. I am a widower my wife died three years ago on April 22. 

I have no child or children under sixteen years of age. 

Neither my self or my wife were ever previously married before our marriage to each other. 

The rheumatism affects me with severe pains in different parts of my body in my arms, back, shoulders, legs, & hips.

I have been laid up at times in bed but more about the house than in bed, as much as four weeks at a time. 

No my testicles have never got so bad as to lay me up but they pain me considerable.

I have doctored a good for my eyes but never have been confined in any dark room on acct. of them. 

Yes sir the weather seem to affect my rheumatism as in wet stormy weather the pains are more severe. 

Newton T. Kirke of Albion Mich is my atty of record.

I have articles of agreement for $20.00. 

I have never paid any thing. 

I do not care to be present at any further examination of my claim. 

As to the discrepancy between my declaration and this statement as to my age I will state that so far as I know I am now 57 years of age. 

You misunderstood me Elizabeth Love was not my neighbor at Newaygo, Mich. but when I came from Detroit Mich where I was mustered out I went to her house at Niles Mich. where I stopped until I was married in summer of 1866. 

I have heard you read this statement in full & I understood all the questions asked and these answers are correctly recorded. 

James T. Battles

Sworn to and subscribed before me this 4 day of Jany 1900, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing. 

James A. Hunt
Special Examiner. 

SOURCES

Pension Records for James Battles, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C. 

Note: “(checked)” indicated that a check mark was drawn in above the name.