Testimony of John Henry Barber's Mother, Elmira
January 26, 1884

John Henry Barber's mother, Elmira, shared details about her life and that of her son in order to obtain a pension following his death.

State of Tennessee}  Personally came before
Carter County } me the undersigned authority Elmira Barber

Who is an applicant for Pension as Mother of John Henry Barber late Private of Co. L I.U.S.C.H.A. No — 284849 who being first duly Sworn Says that in 1864 at the date of the Enlistment of her son she lived at Piney Flat, in the Edge of Sullivan County Tennessee but Carters Depot Tennessee was her P.O. Address In the year 1869 she moved down close to Carters Depot where she now resides it being all the change she has made since the Enlistment of her said Son. In 1864 she had three children to wit the deceased John Henry Barber who was about 20 years of age at that time Mariah Barber who was then about 2 years old, and Mary Barber who was then about 4 years old but she has since died, That her husband is still living and has lived with her Ever since her son Enlisted, was now living with her, and had been for a great number of years as she & her husband Tillman Barber both belonged as Slaves to Bengiman [Wharton?], who lived in Albermarle Co Va but moved to Sullivan Co. Tennessee before the war and died there in 1869. And during the war her husband & children were sold to George [McLelelland?] where they were at the date of the Emancipation Act. that her son was born in Albermarle Co. Va, and that they never went by any other name than Barber, that her said Son Enlisted at Knoxville Tennessee but that she don’t remember the date when he Enlisted, that her husband is unable to support her & has been ever since before the Enlistment of her said Son on account of Physical disability that at the Enlistment of said Soldier he resided with her, & his post office Address was Carter Depot Tennessee & he was a bright Mulatto in color

Elmira her x mark Barber

Sworn to and Subscribed before me this January 26th AD 1884 & I certify that this affiant is a credible witness & fully knew the contents of the foregoing affidavit before signing [Son?] & that I am not concerned in the [prosecution?] of her [claim?]

J. T. Grindstaff.

Clerk Circuit Court

SOURCES

Pension Records for John Henry Barber, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.