Testimony of Julia Churchwell
March 5, 1874

Julia Churchwell gave information about her husband's first marriage and pension.

EXHIBIT

CASE OF Minor of Peter Churchill, No. 119,367.

On this fifth day of March, 1874, at Cor. of M. & 4. st. Washington, County of Washington

Dist of Columbia, before me Thomas P. Kane a Special Agent of the Pension Office, personally appeared Julia Churchill wife of Peter Churchill, who being by me duly sworn according to law, declares that her age is about 40 years, that she resides at Cor. of M & 4 st Wash 

County of WashingtonDist of Columbia, and that that she was never married to Peter Churchill but that she has lived with him as his wife since 1861.

Peter Churchill’s first wife died in Virginia before I ever lived with him. He had other children by his first wife but none of them are now living except Harriet, who is now about 19 years old, and lives with her Grandmother Dicey Churchill on T. St. in this District. She also declares that her husband has no other wife living but her, and that he lives with no other woman as his wife, that he works in Georgetown and comes home to Washington every night, that she has had one child by her husband which is now dead. Peter Churchill mother is not willing that a marriage ceremony should be performed or that he should have or recognize her as his wife for the reason that she claims support from him. He never knew until this week that a pension was being drawn on account of his death. he learned it from the neighbors and others. he has asked his mother where she got so much money from but she would not tell him 

and she further declares that he has no interest, direct or indirect, in the claim of the minor of Peter Churchill for a Pension; and further saith not.

Julia her x mark Churchill

Attest {William A. Austin                                                                      

{Frances Gaby Austin

Sworn to and subscribed before me this fifth day of March 1874, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to affiant before signing.

Thomas P. Kane
Special Agent.

SOURCES

Pension Records for Peter Churchwell, RG 15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.