Partial Affidavit of Henry Kettell

Henry Kettell described his enlistment and subsequent service in an undated, incomplete affidavit.

District of Columbia  }
County of Washington } ss

In the matter of claim for Original Invalid Pension of Henry Kettell No. 295,760, personally appeared the Claimant aged 38 years or thereabout, resident of Bennings Station D.C. who being sworn in due form of law deposes and says: as follows viz.

From the date of my enlistment on the 14th day of May 1864 I went to Boston Mass, with the recruiting Officer, returned to Camp Casey Alex, remaining two or three days, was mustered in and went to the front at Petersburg and at City Point; - was doing duty about two weeks at Petersburg when I was taken with camp fever and sent to City Points and treated in Hospital tent for about three weeks, when I again returned to the front and was wounded in the Battle of Petersburg in 1864 in my right knee by a bullett. B[e]tween the dates of July 1st and Nov. 30th, I was all of the time to the best of my knowledge and belief, either at Petersburg or City Point. I was never wounded with a pistol, and never received a [....]

SOURCES

Pension Records for Henry Kettell, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.