Testimony of Dicey Churchill and T. D. Yeager in the Pension of Peter Churchwell
January 8, 1868

Dicey Churchill and T. D. Yeager gave testimony to help secure a pension for Peter Churchwell's minor daughter, Harriet.

District of Columbia} ss:

On this 8th day of Jany 1868, . personally appeared before me R. J. Meigs Clerk of the Supreme Court. D.C. Mrs Dicey Churchill. (Colo) of Washington, D.C. who being duly sworn deposes and says that she is the legally appointed Guardian of Harriet Churchill, minor child of Peter Churchill, deceased Private Co. “H”. 23d Regt. U.S.C. Troops; that the said Harriet Churchill was born on the Seventh day of Sept 1859, that no baptismal or other record of the date of birth of the said Harriet Churchill was kept; that no physician was present during the confinement of Maria Churchill, mother of said Harriet Churchill, and wife of the said Peter Churchill, and that no better evidence in proof of date of birth of the said Harriet Churchill can be adduced than that of two persons who were present at the time of her birth.

Dicey her x mark Churchill

2 Witnesses who write
{R. J. Meigs Jr.    
{L. P. Williams

EXHIBIT

CASE OF Minor of Peter Churchill

On this seventh day of March, 1874, at Washington, County of Washington D.C., before me Tolbert Lauston a Special Agent of the Pension Office, personally appeared T. D. Yeager, who being by me duly sworn according to law, declares that his age is 28 years, that he resides at Washington County of WashingtonD.C., and that upon information received at the Pension Office, he called upon Dicy Churchill, guardian of the above minor, who admitted that the soldier, was still alive and has been in Washington for nearly one year.

That she had seen him frequently during that time and told him she was drawing pension on his account and that he told her that was right. Millie Hacket, who is living with Dicey’s son as his wife, also acknowledged that the soldier Peter Churchill was alive and that she has seen and spoken to him frequently since his return to Washington. Upon their arrest for conspiracy the soldier Peter Churchill was subpoenaed as a witness and upon being called up by the bailiff, a colored man arose and acknowledged that he was Peter Churchill –

and he further declares that he has no interest, direct or indirect, in the claim of Minor of Peter Churchill for a pension; and further saith not

T.D. Yeager

Sworn to and subscribed before me this 7 day of March 1874, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to affiant before signing.

Tolbert Lauston

Chief [SST Esq?] Special Agent.

SOURCES

Pension Records for Peter Churchwell, RG 15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.