Testimony of Prince Bradford
May 23, 1894

Prince Bradford gave testimony about his life in order to secure a pension.

(3—446.)

DEPOSITION A

Case of Prince Bradford[Ctf?] No. 52,8,872

On this 23 day of May, 1894, at Huntsville, County of Madison State of Alabama, before me, A. B. Parkey, a Special Examiner of the Pension Office, personally appeared Prince Bradford, who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to him during this Special Examination of aforesaid pension claim, deposes and says: My age is 71. Occupation farmer, residence and P.O. Address Huntsville, Ala.

I was a soldier during the late war as a Corporal Co. A. 17—U.S.C. Inf. no other service. I enlisted November 30, 1863 and was discharged April 25, 1866. I am now pensioned under Act of June 27, 1890 at the rate of $12 per month forvaricose veins of rt leg, rheumatism and disease of the heart.

I am an applicant for pension for rheumatism, disease of spine and varicose veins. These disabilities were contracted in service and line of duty.

I was bred and born in Virginia but have lived within five miles of this place since I was 10 years old. I belonged to Hamilton Bradford Huntsville, before the war. My occupation before the war was that of blacksmith. The man who worked in the shop with me was Gordon Bradford. He is dead. 

Ben Hammond, Albert Fletcher, Joe Nichols, Caleb Jones & Annanias Jackson knew me before the war and have known me since the war.

I had no sickness, except a spell of the cholera morbus, before the war.

I had no doctor to treat me for anything before I went into the army.

I had no trouble whatever with any disability for which I now claim pension before the war. The disabilities for which I claim pension are a result of my army service. 

I was enlisted at Murfreesboro, Tenn. I was given a thorough examination when I was enlisted. I was stripped stark naked and thumped in great shape. I do not know the Dr. who examined me, not sure whether the Dr. belonged to the regiment.

The Dr. told me that I was one of the best he had. Joe Nichols, Annanias Jackson, and I think Ben Hammond were examined when I was.

Q When, where and under what circumstances did You contract the rheumatism and disease of spine?

A I think I had been in the service about two years before I felt any pains in my back and had the rheumatism. I think the pains in my back and the rheumatism were caused by carrying, my gripsack and by the heavy marching. This was just after I got back off of Hoods raid. I was at this time that I first had the veins of my legs to swell. We had to wade creeks and through mud. It was enough to kill a mule—the rough weather we went through. I had to go to the hospital for these disabilities. I never did any more regimental duty after the Hood raid.

The Dr. (Dr Clemens) the regimental told Capt Nixon he would better let me go to the hospital, and I was sent to the hospital.

I was not sent altogether for the pains, but partly on account of the dysentery. I had the dysentery pretty bad. I got over the dysentery but I have never gotten over the pains. After the Hood raid I went to the hospital and when I got better I was put to looking after the dining room but I never did any more regular duty

I was still suffering with the rheumatism, pains in my back and the swollen veins at discharge

Who were your Co officers

Capt. Nixon, Sgt Bradford & Corp Beasley. They knew of my disabilities Corp Beasley was my messmate. Beasley is dead.

I have suffered from the pains in my back and the rheumatism ever since the war. I was disabled about 1/2 when I was discharged and my disabilities have grown worse ever since. I can not do more than one fourth labor now.

After discharge I came right back here. I have never had any Dr. to treat me since the war. I want examined to prove origin & contin.

Ben Hammond, [Gladstone?], Madison Co., Ala.

Albert Fletcher, Huntsville,      “                 “
Joe Nichols                “              “                  “
Caleb Jones               “               “                   “
& Annanias Jackson  “               “                   “

I have not been injured in any way since I came out of the service, I do not wish to be present at any further examination of my claim I have heard read the foregoing statements and my answers have been correctly recorded.

Prince his x mark Bradford 
Deponent.

Attest
J. P Fuller, Jr.                                                                                                                 
L. M. Parkey

Sworn to and subscribed before me this 23 day of May, 1894, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing.

A. B. Parkey
Special Examiner.

SOURCES

Pension Records for Prince Bradford, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.