Testimony on Behalf of Robert Carter's Mother, Lucy Jackson
September 16, 1890

Lucy Jackson, dependent mother of Robert Carter, and Spencer Scott testified in order to secure a pension for Jackson.


Deposition “A”

Case of Lucy Jackson, No. 396894.

            On this sixteenth day of September, 1890, at Clarksville, County of Pike

State of Missouri, before me, C. F. Whitney, a Special Examiner of the Pension Office, personally appeared Lucy Jackson, who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to her during this Special Examination of aforesaid pension claim, deposes and says: I suppose I am about seventy-six years of age. I am a housekeeper, unable to do much work. My house is one mile north of Clarksville, Mo., which town is my post-office address. I am the dependent mother of Robert Jackson, who served as Pvt., Co. “A”, 65th Regt U.S.C.T. He enlisted under the name of Robert Carter, (taking the name of his master, as many of the slaves did when they enlisted), at Troy, Mo., in the fall of 1863, and died in the service. His comrade, Spencer Scott, now residing at Paynesville, Pike Co., Mo. wrote to me when my son Robert died, but I am unable to give the exact date of death, and I do not know the cause of death. He died during the spring or summer of 1864, at Port Hudson, La. I suppose the govt. has a record of the date of death, for we have already received some bounty due my son Robert. Robert was twenty-one years of age the April before he enlisted, had never been married, nor was not married when he died, and had no children. 

            I depended upon my son in part for subsistence, and he sent me money at one time after he went to the war.

            At the time my son ran away from our master, and enlisted, my husband, myself and all our children were slaves, and belonged to one John Carter, who owned about one hundred slaves. We lived on a large farm, owned by our master, near New Hope, Lincoln Co., Mo. My husband, Addison Jackson was quite old that that time, and was suffering with a cancer of his right breast. He was about sixty years of age at that time, quite feeble, and grew more and more so until he died, about six years ago. (Date not known.) Of course he could do some work, and had to do all he could; but from perhaps ten years prior to his death, he was totally unable to work, and I am very old and can not do much work.

            I have not remarried, nor have I cohabited with any man since my husband died.

            After my son enlisted, my master, John Carter got angry, and told us that we must get off his place; that we belonged to Abe Lincoln, and if we did not get out, he would haul us to Clarksville, and throw us in the river. We were fixing to leave, and trying to find some place to live, and I had earned a little money washing clothes, when we heard of Robert’s death. Yes sir, we were free when we heard of Robert’s death. The boss had sold everything off the place, and we had to look out for ourselves. He had told us to go before this time. My husband died here in Clarksville, Mo., as I have stated, of cancer of right breast; from which he had suffered ever since before the war. He was eighty years old when he died. I can not furnish medical evidence to show his physical condition from the date of my son’s death, for the reason that he had no doctor. I understand that Dr. Nicklen and Dr. Pharr, of Clarksville, Mo., told my husband not to bother with the sore on his breast, for if he irritated it he would have a bad sore. Dr. Linn and Dr.—Hawkins the former of New Hope, Mo., and the latter of Clarksville, Mo., both now dead, were our family physicians at different times, but I can not now say that they ever treated my husband. It was during slave times that they visited us. After we were free, I went to Mr. John Rogers’ home near Paynesville, Mo., and stayed on his place two months. At the same time, I went there, my husband hired to a man from Iowa, and went then to work. My other children were all grown, and looked out for themselves, except the youngest, a boy, Fielder Jackson, and I took him with me.

            It was during the winter (year not known.) that I went to the residence of John Rogers, for snow was on the ground. It must have been in January, for it was soon after Christmas, and probably a month after John Carter had ordered us off the place, and I know there was snow on the ground when Carter ordered us off, and I told him it was so cold we could not go. A constable told us we had ten (10) days to get out, and if we did not go in that time, we would be put out. 

            I remained with John Rogers about two months, and then went to Quincy, Ill., and was there joined by my husband. 

            We lived in Quincy for five (5) months, and then returned to Pike Co., Mo., and lived near Paynesville for some years, but moved finally to Clarksville, Mo., where I have lived ever since, and where my husband died as above stated.

            The day I arrived in Quincy, there was great excitement, for the news of the assassination of President Lincoln had just reached them.

            Yes sir, this was the day I reached Quincy, and we had only been free for about four (4) months. I do not know when the other slave holders turned their slaves free, but John Carter had a great many slaves, and turned these all out at one time. I had heard of Robert’s death several months before I was driven from John Carter’s place. When we first heard of Robert’s death, we were at work on the farm, and had not yet heard that we were free. John Carter told us we were free some time after we had heard of Robert’s death.

            I made a mistake if I said that we were preparing to leave John Carter’s farm when we heard that Robert was dead, for I knew Robert was dead several months before John Carter ordered us off the farm.

            I have not a good memory, and my former declarations are in error as to dates, and this must be correct, for I am sure we arrived in Quincy on the day the news of Lincoln’s death reached there. My son Robert died in the service of the United States, and I am without means of support. I gave the names of all my children in a former statement, with dates of birth as near as I could. They are all married except a girl, and she does–not live with me.

            I am dependent for support on what charitably disposed persons see fit to give me. I feel that the Govt. should render me assistance in my helpless condition. You have read my former affidavits and they are incorrect as to dates I feel satisfied.

            I then give date of my husbands death as Nov. 2, 1885. That must be correct.

            My answers are correctly recorded.

Lucy her x mark Jackson

A. T Jamison
C. F. Whitney

Sworn to and subscribed before this 16 day of September, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing.

C. F. Whitney
Special Examiner.




Case of Lucy Jackson, No. 396894

            On this seventeenth day of September, 1890, at Paynesville, County of Pike

State of Missouri, before me, C. F. Whitney, a Special Examiner of the Pension Office, personally appeared Spencer Scott, who, being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to him during this Special Examination of aforesaid pension claim, deposes and says: I am fifty-six years of age, a shoe-maker. Residence and P. O. address Paynesville, Pike Co., Mo. I served as Pvt. Co. “A.” 65 Regt U.S.C.T. from Dec. 1863 until Dec. 1866. I know Lucy Jackson mother of Robert Jackson. We all belonged to John Carter before the war, and lived near New Hope, Lincoln Co., Mo. Robert Jackson and I served in same Co. and Regt. and both enlisted under the name of our master Carter.

            Robert Carter died in June 1864 at Port Hudson, La. I was with him when he died, and helped bury him. I used to do writing for Robert, and had written to his mother for him often. I sent her money at one time at his request. His father, Addison Jackson was an old man and was suffering with some disease and was not very strong. He died sometime ago, but I can not give the date. He could make about half a hand from the time I came home from the war 1866 until about 1875, and after that date he was totally disabled–and could do no work. I heard he had a cancer, which caused his death. Robert Carter told me he sent the money to his mother to help her along. We had heard that the master (John Carter) did not provide very well for them after we ran off to the war. Yet they stayed on the place and raised a crop.

            In the fall of 1864 while I was at Morganza, La., I rec’d a letter from my father, George Scott (deceased) that he had to look out for a place to live, as he had to get off the farm after the crop was gathered. That John Carter had told them that they were free, and belonged to Abe Lincoln, and that he wanted them off the farm as he could rent it. The master had told them this in August 1864. My father got off the place about Nov, 1864.

            I do not know when the master ordered Lucy Jackson and her family off the place, but suppose at the same time. My father said that the master drove them all off, that the most of them had already gone. Yes sir, this was after Robert died. Robert had never been married, had no children. He was about twenty-one years old when he died. He was greatly attached to his mother, and seemed anxious about her when he died, and gave me some money to take to her. Yes sir, Robert Jackson was the son of Lucy Jackson, and he was the identical man who enlisted as I have stated, under the name of Robert Carter.

            Lucy Jackson and her husband had no property after the war, and were dependent upon their own labor for support. They were old people at that time. I don’t know her financial condition now, but suppose she is very poor, and has to have assistance. I am not related to clmt. and have no interest in her claim for pension. I know the facts to which I have testified from personal knowledge. 

            I have thoroughly understood your questions, and my answers are correctly recorded.

SC–Spencer Scott
Alias—Spencer Carter

A. T. Jamison
C. F. Whitney

            Sworn to and subscribed before me this 17th day of September, 1890, and I certify that the contents were fully made known to deponent before signing.

C. F. Whitney
Special Examiner


Pension Records for Robert Carter, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.