Charles Irving Wilson to Lorenzo Thomas
August 20, 1864

In a letter to General Lorenzo Thomas, Charles Irving Wilson details his service as a surgeon with the U. S. Army. 

H’d Qrs.. Cav. Res. Brigade 1st Division

Middle Military Division

Camp near Berryville, Va.

August 20th 1864

General

In reply to communication received this day from Adjutant General’s Office of July 28th 1864 I have the honor to state that in June last I was on duty as Surgeon in Chief of the Cavalry Reserve Brigade, 1st Division Cavalry Corps Army of the Potomac. I have also to state that on January 7th 1864, I was relieved from duty with the Army of the Potomac and assigned to Duty at Carver General Hospital Washington D.C. and shortly after to Lincoln General Hospital. On March 7th 1864 I was again relieved and reassigned to Duty with the Army of the Potomac and have from that time up to this date held the position of Surgeon in Chief of the Calvary Reserve Brigade 1st Division Cavalry Corps. The Orders relating thereto are not now accessible, our whole Brigade train, having been captured on August 13th 1864 and all Official records destroyed. 

I have the honor to be Sir 

Very Respectfully

Your Obedient Servant

C. Irving Wilson

Asst. Surgeon U.S.A

Brig. General L. Thomas
Adjutant General U.S.A.
Washington D.C.

SOURCES

Letters to the Adjutant General’s Office, 1861-1870, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.