Testimony of Charles B. McConkey on behalf of Fanny McConkey
February 15, 1910

Charles B. McConkey describes his father Elbridge McConkey's injuries from his horse falling on him during a mission in order to help his mother, Frances W. McConkey, obtain a widow's pension. 

Page 1
Page 2

GENERAL AFFIDAVIT

State of Penna, County of Dauphin, ss:

In the matter of Widow Orig. No. 904,426, Mrs. Fanny W. McConkey, Widow of Elbridge McConkey, Co. F, 1st Pa. L. A. 

Personally came before me, a Notary Public in and for the aforesaid County and State, Penna, Charles B. McConkey aged 42 years, citizen of the town of Harrisburg, 209 South Front St County of Dauphin, State of Pennsylvania well known to me to be reputable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declare in relation to aforesaid case, as follows: 

My father Elbridge McConkey, husband of Fanny W. McConkey did not serve in the army or Navy of US prior to August 1st, 1861. 

He graduated from the Harvard Law School, June 17, 1861, at the age of 21 years (a certificate of which I have in the shape of a diploma, from that institution bearing date, June 17, 1861). For two years prior thereto, he was a student at Yale College, as the records of that institution will disclose, & for a year preceding, a student at the University of Virginia, & prior to that a student at Williston Seminary, Easthampton. Mass. My Sources of information as to the above are the records of the institutions & conversations with my father. He did serve subsequent to Feb 20, 1862, having been hurt while reconnoiter[i]ng, at the battle of Fredericksburg, Dec 12, 1862, a tree having blown down striking him & his horse. This I know from frequent conversations with him 

I further declare that I have, no interest in said case and I am not concerned in its prosecution. I have no financial interest in said case 

Charles B. McConkey

Sworn to and subscribed before me this day by the above-named affiant; and I certify that I read said affidavit to said affiant; and acquainted him with its contents before he executed the same. I further certify that I am in nowise interested in said case, nor am I concerned in its prosecution, and that said affiant is personally known to me; that he is a credible person and so reputed in the community in which he resides.

Witness my hand and official seal this 15th day of February 1910

[Sign here.] Wm. C. [Ammon?]
NOTARY PUBLIC
4 N. Court Street
Harrisburg, Pa.
Commission Expires April 19, 1911

SOURCES

Pension Records for Elbridge McConkey, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.