Henry V. Morris to His Sister
September 21, 1836

Henry V. Morris describes his travels and his acquaintances to his sister, particularly focusing on his settling down in Charlottesville to begin his teaching position at the University of Virginia.

charlottesville Sept 21, 1836

Miss Eliza,                    

The sun has just passed his meridional altitude and is blazing in his full glory in one of those clear cerulean skies which I recollect of often seeing in this country before and his heat is so oppresive and fiersome that it is with no small degree of trubble that I can write this scrall. I arived on the 19th after a long and trubblesome jurney. I stade onely one night in New York but the capt remained [and?] he passed me off for Phil the next morning where I stade until Sattarday. Mr Robinson and his famely [wase?] surprized at seeing me & would not have known me if seen me elsewhare. Daniel is to be married the next Monday Eve but to whom I do not know I saw all the famely except Daniel & Charles, Alexander is a fine fellow I like him much more than Edward he went with me abought the city and allso went to Baltamore with us Eliza I think is very pertty, and she exprest a great desire to see you I am sorry to say that I left the letter for Miss Brauner & allso the one for [Fort?] on the table in the room in which [I] slept it being very dark when I left and in a great hurry. And if I had taken it I would have to have put it in Post office at Washington for I onely remane thire long [anoufth?] to take tea. I do not like charlottesvill but I do the University there is at present about 170 student I have not got fully established yet. My class will be small on account of the scholl commencing to late there a dozen went Wm and Mary colladge at one time and others at others times there only remanes at present about 18. I like Mr Bonycastle very much he made me sta[y] and take tea and remane one night with him, and he appears to be very much interrested for me his lady is a very pertty woman and plays admeraly on the peana. I cannot but say that charlottesville has the most beautifu[l] ladies I ever saw. I do not know as I have no thing more to say to you at pres[ent] remember mee to my friends. Do not Sho[w] this to any one it is writen in a hurry and with a bad pen I will write you longer letters here often. Write soon.

I remane yours             

H V Morris

SOURCES

Henry V. Morris to Eliza Morris, 21 September 1836, Alden Partridge Records, Norwich University Archives & Special Collections, Norwich, CT.