Obituary of Edwin R. Bush (2)
October 10, 1914

In this obituary, The Woodland Daily Democrat praised Edwin R. Bush as a brilliant scholar, an "upright and able judge," and a man with "the gentlest of dispositions."

Strolling in Garden When Life Fled

The Late E. R. Bush an Incorruptible Judge and Able Lawyer

Judge Bush was walking in the garden with his little grandson, Billie, when the earthly tie snapped. One moment his eyes were gazing contentedly on the home and grounds of his son, Henry J., where he had been spending the more leisurely years of his life; the next they were fixed in a glassy stare that could not see even the adored little grandson.

Edwin Rice Bush was one of the brightest members of an extraordinarily bright family, the sons and daughters of Dr. J. P. Bush. He was born in Copiah county, Missouri, October 17, 1846. He was given a fine education, attending the schools of Massachusetts and New York. The opportunity to study law, for which he was peculiarly fitted, opened to him, and, after a term in the law department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, he was taken into the office of Hon. Scott Lord, a famous attorney of the empire state, who had been the law partner of Roscoe Conkling. Young Bush’s aptitude undoubtedly found favor with his chief, for the excellent results of his early training were evidenced throughout Judge Bush’s entire legal career. He took law courses in notable universities in the east after leaving the Lord office.

He came to California in 1869 and to Woodland in 1870. He had no difficulty in gaining the confidence of his new acquaintances, who believed in both his superior knowledge of law and his unflinching honesty, a trust that was never betrayed. He formed a partnership with the late Judge C. S. Frost, a noble man with a keen intellect. The Frost and Bush families were next door neighbors on North Street for many years, and till after death had removed Judge and Mrs. Frost and Mrs. E. R. Bush.

Mr. Bush was elected public administrator soon after coming to Yolo county. He performed his duties conscientiously and was then called on by the people to take their most important gift, the county judgeship. He was elected to that office in 1875 for a term of four years. In the meantime the office of superior judge had been created by the state constitution, and Judge Bush was re-elected to the judiciary and became the first superior judge of Yolo county.

His health began to fail shortly after his retirement from the bench in 1884, but he pursued law practice with fidelity and ability and his clientage was of the best class.

In 1898 the voters of Yolo county again showed their confidence in him by electing him district attorney. He served his constituents well for four years, but his shattered constitution demanded then that he take a rest. While not wholly relinquishing his practice he made no effort to maintain it as he had in the days of better health, but he discharged faithfully every duty he assumed.

Judge Bush was married in 1876 to Miss Mary J. Yerby, who died in 1886. Three sons—Henry J., one of the proprietors of The Vogue, Edwin Y. and Clarence—were born to them. The last named is dead. A brother of the judge, C. W. Bush, the banker, and two sisters, Miss Emma Bush and Mrs. Ada Wallace, the city librarian, live in Woodland. R. P. Wallace, Yolo county auditor, is a nephew.

E. R. Bush was an upright and able judge, a capable attorney, a true friend and an honorable man. He had one of the gentlest of dispositions, and was one of the best of men in the home. His affection for and tenderness to his family could not be excited. He was kind to all animals and loved books and flowers. Woodland people understand the grief his relatives are enduring because he has been taken from them, and all who knew the gentlemanly and honorable judge will suffer the heartache that comes when a beloved figure fades forever from view.

The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 4 o’clock from the residence of Henry J. Bush, on south First street.


The Woodland Daily Democrat, October 10, 1914