Commission of Charles Ewing
August 16, 1861

President Abraham Lincoln signed Charles Ewing's commission as captain in August 1861.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
To all who shall see these presents greeting:
Know Ye, That reposing special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity and abilities of Charles Ewing, I have nominated, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, do appoint him Captain in the Thirteenth Regiment of Infantry in the service of the United States: to rank as such from the Fourteenth day of Mayeighteen hundred and Sixty one. He is therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the duty of Captain by doing and performing all manner of things thereunto belonging.
And I do strictly charge and require all Officers and Soldiers his command to be obedient to his orders as Captain. And he is to observe and follow such orders and directions from time to time, as he shall receive from me, or the future President of the United States of America, or the General or other superior Officers set over him, according to the rules and discipline of War. This Commission to continue in force during the pleasure of the President of the United States for the time being.

Given under my hand, at the City of Washington, this Sixteenth day of August, in the year
of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and Sixty one and in the Eighty Sixth year
of the Independence of the United States

By the President Abraham Lincoln
Simon Cameron, Secretary of War

SOURCES

Commission of Charles Ewing as Captain in the Thirteenth Regiment of Infantry, Library of Congress