William P. Rucker to Abraham Lincoln (2)
March 22, 1865

In this letter to President Abraham Lincoln, William P. Rucker briefly declares his "devotion to the Union" and describes his long imprisonment. 

Letter from Major Wm P Rucker
Late A.D.C. Genl Crook's Staff
Marietta Ohio March 22, 1865

His Excellency
A. Lincoln Presidenet &c

Sir

After my capture at Summerville W. Va in the Summer of 1862 I was closely confined for nearly two years in the Confederate prisoners of Va under two indictments for treason and other offences on account of my devotion to the Union and the military service I had rendered to the Union army. During all the troubles Mr. Nat Harrison the bearer of this now of Soft Sulphur Springs Monroe County West Va, and at one time a practicing lawyer of Phila was my friend and most faithful counsel. He saved my life at the expense of his own, and by incurring much odium and persecution upon my account. I was stigmatized as a traitor for having taken up arms in defence of the Union and he was denounced as a traitor for undertaking my defence. It was through him that my status as a prisoner of war was so far recognized that I was not at once sacrificed to the civil and military fury of the Confederacy. In May 1862 when our army under the command of Genl—now Major Genl Crook, was passing through Monroe County, Mr. Harrison rendered most important services and assistance to that Genl for whom I was then acting as senior aid. Since his departure from Phila in Jan[uar]y 1862, and to which city he was prevented from returning by the Confederate authorities—he has been living at the Saoft Sulphur Springs, and he has had no connection at any time or in any way with the rebel government. On the contrary he has ever been as far as possible a defender of the Union and an enemy to the Confederacy, and by his prominence and position as a lawyer and his independence and sagacity as a man, has exerted a strong moral influence in our cause and rendered much personal and professional aid to friends of the Union who suffered oppression in its defence.

The above facts within my own knowledge as well as abundantly corroborated by the testimony of others, I ask permission most respectfully to bring to your notice as evidence that Mr. Harrison is fully entitled to the Confidence and protection of the Government.

I have the honor to be, Sir, most respectfully

Your obt Servt
Wm P Rucker
Formerly Major and A.D.C. Genl Crook's Staff

SOURCES

William P. Rucker to Abraham Lincoln, March 22, 1865, RG 107, Entry 18, National Archives and Records Administration