Robert H. Shannon to Abraham Lincoln
October 1, 1863

In this letter, Robert H. Shannon asks President Abraham Lincoln to appoint him as a federal judge in South Carolina, Texas, or "such place as may be open."

Washington D.C.
October 1st 1863

To the President of the United States

Sir,

As I have now waited for three days to have a personal interview with you, and to hand you the enclosed letter from the Hon Simeon Draper of the City of New York from whence I come and being compelled to leave I herewith transmit the said letter enclosed with this one from me.

In reference to the position suggested in Mr. Draper’s letter, I wish to make a formal application for the vacancy in the Judgeship in South Carolina or Texas or such place as may be open.

On my return to New York I shall obtain and forward to you a letter from Mr. Evaits and several other prominent members of our New York Bar, well and [illegible] known for their high legal social + political position.

I have faithfully labored in the Union cause among southern men, and I believe I shall be able to strengthen the Government if I am placed in a position to act for it.

Please try me and see if I do not prove what I promise.

Your obt servant

Robert H. Shannon
New York City

SOURCES

Robert H. Shannon to Abraham Lincoln, October 1, 1863, RG 60, Entry 350, National Archives and Records Administration