Hopkinsville Lawyers Pay Tribute to Joseph I. Landes
December 5, 1907

In December 1907, the members of the Hopkinsville bar paid tribute to Joseph I. Landes, praising his "fearlessness, honesty of purpose, and clearness of judgment" and calling him one of "Kentucky's ablest attorneys."

Resolutions of Respect

Hopkinsville, Ky., Dec. 5, 1097 [sic]

The members of the Hopkinsville bar met in the county court room to pay their last official respects on the death of Judge Joseph I. Landes on December 1, 1907.

On motion of Mr. Hunter Wood, Sr., Judge W. P. Winfree was elected chairman and John C. Duffy secretary.

On motion, Mr. Hunter Wood, Sr., Mr. J. W. Downer, Judge J. T. Hanbery and Judge W. P. Winfree were appointed a committee to draw up appropriate resolutions on the death of Judge Joseph I. Landes. The committee then reported the following resolutions:

Whereas, the Law Giver has called our brother and beloved friend, Judge Joseph I. Landes, from his honorable career in the practice of law, his usual services as a citizen, and his noble life as a Christian gentleman, all of which deserve more than passing mention or perfunctory eulogy; be it resolved that the bar of Hopkinsville has suffered a loss that is shared as well by the city and by the state. All that was mortal of the able lawyer and excellent citizen has been tenderly committed to the earth, but his good deeds, blameless life, and ennobling influences will remain with us to add to the sum of human character and worth. As a lawyer he combined splendid gifts, with deep learning and broad experience. His fidelity to his clients was a distinguishing trait; in point of capacity he ranked undoubtedly with Kentucky’s ablest attorneys.

There was neither envy nor distrust in his character, and it was always a pleasure to him to show every courtesy and consideration to his brother members of the bar. In his various official positions, whether as county attorney, city judge, referee in bankruptcy or a justice of the appellate bench of the state, his fearlessness, honesty of purpose, and clearness of judgment characterized his acts. While he had been honored by office and positions of trust, the example he leaves of high-minded devotion to the finest ideals of his profession wreaths his memory with greater distinction than any laurels that could be bestowed.

In his walk and conversation among men he was the soul of honor and loved the right. His influence was far-reaching as a citizen. His every aspiration was for the uplifting of humanity. No harsh line ever marred the pages of his record in his profession or as a private citizen. He was pure in thought, chaste in life, and true to all the demands of human society. As a Christian he was “a living epistle, known and read of all men,” with a living faith that sought always to advance his Master’s cause. In his home life, he was all that any man could be, loving and devoted, and it was there that he found his deepest joy.

Resolved, that his memory will be cherished as a precious heritage, and to his grief-stricken wife and daughter we extend our profoundest sympathy in their great bereavement.

Resolved, further, that a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family of the deceased, furnished to the local papers and duly spread upon the records of the county and circuit courts of Christian county.—Hunter Wood, W. P. Winfree, J. T. Hanbery and J. W. Downer.

Upon motion of Mr. C. O. Prowse a suitable floral tribute was ordered for the funeral. Upon motion the meeting was adjourned.

W. P. Winfree, Chairman

John C. Duffy, Secretary

SOURCES

Hopkinsville Kentuckian, December 12, 1907