Thomas Swann to Abraham Lincoln
November 12, 1864

In November 1864, Thomas Swann congratulated Abraham Lincoln on being reelected as president.

Baltimore Nov 12. 1864

My Dear Sir

Sufficient has now transpired, to justify me, in offering to you my sincere congratulations upon the result of the election in this State. For the last three weeks, I have devoted myself almost exclusively to the duties of the canvass, and have reason to feel thankful for what has been accomplished. The City of Baltimore had done well, and in many of the counties the reduction upon the reduction upon the vote against the constitution, has been most flattering. With freedom proclaimed, and the Party upon a footing of harmony, we may promise you a cordial support during your new term of service. Your majority in Maryland, I have every reason to believe, will exceed 8000 votes.—

Tendering you again my congratulations upon the support which you have received not only here, but throughout this country, I am

with great respect
Yours truly
Tho: Swann

SOURCES

Thomas Swann to Abraham Lincoln, 12 November 1864, Abraham Lincoln Papers, Library of Congress.