Alexander W. Baldwin Denounces Secession
May 19, 1861

In May 1861, Alabama-native Alexander W. Baldwin published a public letter denouncing secession and arguing that “this [Confederate] revolution was not the act of the Southern people.” 

An Alabamian on the Davis Usurpation

A.W. Baldwin, Esq, who recently addressed a Union meeting at Downieville, replies in the Sierra Democrat to a criticism on his position, which appeared in the Sierra Citizen over the signature of “Mississippi.” Mr. Baldwin is a native of Alabama. He closes his reply with the following forcible language:

I assert, as one born and bred among them, that this revolution was not the act of the Southern people. Despite the burning wrongs which you so feelingly enumerate, the disunion leaders have in one instance only dared to submit a secession ordinance to the people. At this moment, the usurper, Davis, administers laws which the people’s representatives have not passed, and a constitution to which they have never assented. The Secession is Anarchy, and you, sir, know right well that the Southern people are Union loving people at heart. The echo of Mississippi’s indignant voice, when in 1850 he dared advocate disunion, rings yet in the ears of Jefferson Davis. Do not say that because I am for the Union I am untrue to the place of my birth. It was there I learned to love the Union, and abhor disunion. There I was taught to regard Rhett, Yancey, Davis and Toombs, as enemies to the weal of the South, and traitors to their country.

Mourn with me, countrymen, over the condition to which these disunion demagogues have reduced the land of our birth. Stand with me and the spartan patriot band at the South, who yet remain loyal and faithful to the Union which our fathers ordained."

SOURCES

Daily National Democrat, 29 May 1861