John Reed to Mary J. Reed
March 4, 1864

John Reed wrote a letter home to his mother updating her on his enlistment and various family friends.

Camp Delaware

March 4th 1864

My Dearest Morther I take the present to write you a few lines hopeing this may find you and all the family well it leaves me joying the same blessing we all arrived here wesday even there are a great many soldiers here I Have not been muster in yet but as soon as I am Muster in the serves I will trie to get a furlow to come home I get a hundred & twentyfive dollars Bounty when I come home I will bring it with me Tell the old man Redman that Bill & sant are both here Remember my love to Mrs & Mr Sparrow and all the girls give my love Mrs Harras Mrs Johnson & to Mrs Thomas tell the old squire I have inlisted I am comeing down & there & bring a company to take his camp write soon and let me know how you all are Direct your letter to Camp Delaware Ohio bill and sant Redman sends their love to you all Tell Joseph Redman that William Harras forgot to send him word that sant bill are both here it is very healthly here now there is no or little sickness

No more at present

I Remain your affectnate son, 

John Reed to Mrs. Mary Reed

Sanford T. Redman
his hand write
Camp Delaware

SOURCES

Pension Records for John Reed, RG15, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.

Note: Sanford T. Redman (Co. C) and John Reed (Co. E) both were members of the 27th USCT Infantry Regiment.