Consolidated Barber Shop

Known Name(s)

Consolidated Barber Shop


1216 Springwood Ave. Asbury Park, NJ

Establishment Type(s)

Barber Shop

Physical Status



The 1930 Sanborn insurance map showed 1216 Springwood Avenue, in the heart of Asbury Park’s West Side business district, as three-story brick structure as it faced the street. Like the majority of buildings that lined Springwood in The Green Book years, 1216 is gone; the lot is now empty.

Source: Sanborn Map Co., Insurance Maps of New Jersey Coast, New Jersey, Vol. 2 (1930), sheet 201.

Detailed History

John R. Milby, known, according to his 1978 obituary, as “Pops,” operated the Consolidated Barber Shop on Springwood Avenue, on Asbury Park’s West Side. He listed his barber shop under its business name from 1938 through 1955, and under his own his name as well beginning in 1939. Mr. Milby was born in 1890 in Jamesville, Virginia; he lived in Asbury Park for 52 years, and died there at the age of 85. Mr. Milby was active in his community as a member of the Bethel A.M.E. Church and also as a member of the local Mount Pisgah Lodge and the Elks Lodge.

Sources: Polk’s Asbury Park City Directory, 1940, 1945, and 1948; “John R. Milby, 85, Owned Barber Shop,” Asbury Park Press, 4 January 1978.


J. Shaffer

Related Issues