Cotton Club

Buffalo Sanborn Map 1925 Vol. 2 sheet 189

349 Broadway

See larger version

"Buffalo Evening News" ad for the Cotton Club

January 4, 1946


See larger version

"Buffalo Evening News" ad for the Marigold Club

October 11, 1946

See larger version

Current Google Street View 349 Broadway Buffalo, NY.

Photo Taken 2023.

See larger version

Known Name(s)

Cotton Club


349 Broadway Buffalo, NY

Establishment Type(s)

Night Club

Physical Status



A large two-story brick and frame building located on the south side of Broadway between Archie St. and Walnut St., facing Broadway, marked on the 1925 Sanborn map as a store with a "hall" on the second floor and a bowling alley extending to the rear. The building has multiple storefronts/addresses occupying 349-353 Broadway. It is attached to another brick and frame building that was built around the same time. In addition to the bowling alley, there is also a two-story ell that was likely an addition off the back southwest corner of the building.

Detailed History

The address of the club was more likely 349-353 Broadway. This space included a bowling alley on the 1925 Sanborn map. James E. Fuller purchased the bowling alley and turned it into a nightclub. Some sources indicate the building was built in approximately 1900, but it is unclear the exact date. From at least 1897-1911, the building was called Schwabl Hall and hosted Democratic party nominating conventions. Until at least 1922, the site retained the name but it is not clear that it was still a convention center and may have been more of a nightclub by this point. From 1934 to 1939, it was Kaiser’s Grill (possibly Kalser’s Grill). From 1940 to about 1945, the site was Club Merry Land. From at least 1945, when it is advertised that it was under new management, to 1947 the site ran as a nightclub, initially under the name Cotton Club then changing the name to Club Marigold after a remodel in mid-1946, and finally becoming Heat Wave or New Heat Wave in May 1947. During this three-year period, there are many advertisements boasting food at popular prices and three shows a night along with what performers would be there that week. Cosimo DeRobertis is listed on both the building and liquor permits in 1947 so it is likely he was the owner at that time. By 1960, the site was Niagara China and equipment, and in 1970 it was listed as being owned by Norm Etenger Inc. The last sale of the building was in 2003 from Normal L. Etenger to Ramona Griffin.

Related Issues