Hi-Hat Inn

Known Name(s)

Hi-Hat Inn


White Horse Pike Lawnside, NJ (Primary) (1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966)
20 White Horse Pike Lawnside, NJ (Modern Address)

Establishment Type(s)

Inn, Tourist Home

Physical Status



It probably did not matter whether the Hi-Hat advertised in The Green Book referred to the “Hi-Hat Inn” or to the “Hi-Hat Club.” Both establishments were within a short distance of each other on opposites sides of the White Horse Pike. Both were likely under the same management. William A. Willis and Lauretta Adams were two savvy nightclub entrepreneurs whose names were associated with these establishments. Events held at the Hi-Hat Inn, perhaps a new name for the Lawnside Inn, were occasionally published in local newspapers from 1938-1951. The Inn’s address was given as “White Horse Pike,” and once as, “White Horse Pike between Warwick and Clements Bridge Road.” After 1951, there was no mention of the Hi-Hat Inn, and the Inman Hotel occupied the White Horse Pike address now known as 131 White Horse Pike. The Hi-Hat Club, located at the corner of White Horse and Gloucester Pikes, dates back to 1936. It was a seemingly successful business whose operations were continuous up to 1969-1971. That was when the original Club was demolished, and the parcel was subdivided to accommodate the building of a fast food restaurant and a newly constructed “Lauretta’s Hi-Hat Supper Club.” The original Club’s address was known as 20 White Horse Pike, Lawnside, New Jersey.

Detailed History

Listed as a hotel prior to 1960 and a Tourist home after 1960.

Related Issues