Marion's Beauty Parlor

1119-1121 Springwood in 1942

See larger version

Bond Street school before its relocation to 1119-1121 Springwood

See larger version

Known Name(s)

Marions Beauty Parlor


1119 Springwood Ave. Asbury Park, NJ

Establishment Type(s)

Beauty Parlor

Physical Status



1119 Springwood Avenue was in the center of Asbury Park’s West Side business district. The location on the map is approximate, as this block on the north side of Springwood Avenue between Sylvan and Union Avenues has been reorganized, the buildings from the Green Book years gone. Marion’s Beauty Parlor was within a relocated, repurposed and enlarged building that ran from 1119-1121 Springwood Ave. The multi-story frame structure was originally a part of an Asbury Park public school building, a section of which was moved to Springwood and converted to an apartment building with businesses on the ground floor. This old school building is seen in a photo in a 1947 Asbury Park Press article, and the building as it appeared on Springwood, with its three-story, brick façade in front of the old school structure, is seen in a photo in an article in the 1942 Asbury Park Press. The 1930 Sanborn insurance map depicts the wooden structure set behind its later brick façade.

Sources: Sanborn Map Co., Insurance Maps of New Jersey Coast, New Jersey, Vol. 2 (1930), sheet 202; “An Old School of Asbury Park,” Asbury Park Press, 22 March 1942; “Down Memory Lane,” Asbury Park Press, 1 June 1947.

Detailed History

Marion’s Beauty Salon, listed for many years in the Green Book, was owned and operated by Mrs. Marion Booker. An African American woman born in Virginia around 1905, Mrs. Booker lived in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey, when she first operated her salon on Asbury Park’s West Side. She moved to Asbury around the late 1940s, and continued to run her business.

Source: US census, 1950; Polk’s Asbury Park City Directory, 1940; “Mrs. Marion Booker; Ran City Beauty Shop,” Asbury Park Press, 1 November 1969.


J. Shaffer

Related Issues