Known Name(s)



169 William St. Buffalo, NY

Establishment Type(s)

Beauty Parlor

Physical Status




Several black businesses in the Green Book existed on the same street including, Edwards and Melissey's. Matchless was owned and operated by Mrs. Ada Simpson Armstrong at 169 William St. from 1935 until she retired in 1960 and closed the business. Armstrong founded the Beauty Culturists Association of Western New York in 1935, and was extremely active in community, philanthropic, and church organizations throughout Buffalo.


Detailed History

Two story building with composition roof. The height in feet from the ground to roof level is 22 feet. The walls are 12 inches thick. There is a fire wall 18 inches above roof. There is a window on the east and west side of the second story. There are two dwellings in the back of the building. On William Street between Michigan Ave. and Union. 1925-1951 SM sheet 157


Related Issues