Mrs. E. W. Grinage

Esther Grinage Tourist Home looking southeast at north facade of 3-bay house

Looking southeast at north facade of Mrs. E.W. Grinage Tourist Home

See larger version

Known Name(s)

E. W. Grinage


22 West All Saints Street Frederick, Maryland

Establishment Type(s)

Tourist Home

Physical Status



The Grinage House is a 3-bay, two-story rowhouse on the south side of the street dating from the early 19th century.  It has two-stories and multiple additions in the rear.  The exterior is of common bond brick that has been painted white, while the window lintels and sills have been painted black.  A transom is above the front entrance which is at street level.  The side entrance leads to what was the parlor that is now used as a commercial space.  A stair in the entry leads to the second floor while a closed hall leads to rooms at the rear of the building.

Detailed History

The Grinage Tourist Home was first listed in the 1938 Green Book edition as "Mrs. E. W. Grinage." But by 1946, the listing became E. W. Grinage Tourist Home to indicate that she had passed away. Mrs. Esther W. Grinage founded the local African American kindergarten in 1937 and taught 4th Grade at the 7th Street Elementary School. The Grinage Tourist Home building was used by her husband, William H.B. Grinage as his photo and painting studio until he died in 1925. Mrs. Grinage ran a boarding house and many of the men who lived there worked at the Francis Scott Key Hotel in Frederick. The building has been a barber shop and is now a cosmetology school.

Related Issues