Mrs. P.M. Logan

Known Name(s)

Mrs. P.M. Logan


328 N. Union St. Danville, VA

Establishment Type(s)

Tourist Home

Physical Status



The 1951 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for Danville indicates that 328 N. Union was a two-story frame dwelling with two one-story rear additions. A large two-story shop with the address of 326 N. Union took up the southeast corner of the primary/south elevation and extended all the way to the street. All roofing was slate or tin, with the exception of the rear/northernmost addition, which had a composition roof. A one-story front porch stretched across the front/south elevation of the house, terminating at the west wall of the shop. A very large one-story building, possibly a stable, took up the rear/north half of the property alongside the Dan River. 

This was a very commercial area, with a veterinary hospital immediately to the west, followed by a tin shop and then the Riverside & Dan River Cotton Mills. To the east stood two more shops, a restaurant, bus depot, and filling station.

Detailed History

The 1940 census lists Pearl M. Logan, age 56 and widowed, at 328 N. Union Street. She owns her home and the highest grade she completed was 5th grade. Her daughter Leyora Johns, age 40, and lodger Frank Taylor, age 35, also live in the household. All are listed as "negro." Mrs. Logan is also listed in the 1937 Danville City Directory. She is not listed in the 1950 census.

Related Issues