Phil's restaurant

Known Name(s)

Phil's restaurant


5th St. Warrenton, VA

Establishment Type(s)


Physical Status



The 1947 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map shows two restaurants on Fifth Street. One was housed in the "colored lodge hall," now the View Tree Masonic Lodge at the current address of 11 S. 2nd St. The other was the Black & Gold Inn, at the current address of 31 S. 2nd Street. Phil's would have been in one of these, both of which are extant. For mapping purposes we have placed it at the Black & Gold Inn and will update the location if needed once the exact site is verified. Both buildings are shown in the photographs.


Detailed History

Volume 9, number 11, August 2, 1946 of "The Circuit," a Fauquier County African-American newspaper, indicates that Buddy Walker took over Phil's Barber Shop in that year. Phil then opened a barbecue restaurant. Both businesses were on Fifth Street, possibly in the same building. A 1940 ad in "The Circuit," volume 3, number 6, March 1, 1940, notes that Phil Morgan's Barber Shop offered shampooing, massaging, special servcies for ladies, and expert barbers.

Thanks to Wendy Wheatcraft for the information and the ads. 

Related Issues