Known Name(s)



1002 McCulloh Street Baltimore, Maryland

Establishment Type(s)


Physical Status



The Baltimore Sanborn Map Sheet 175 from 1914-1915 shows the three story row house contained an antique store on the ground floor and also had a two story addition on the rear of the building.  The house was one of 137 houses that were demolished in 1939-1940 to construct the McCulloh Homes which was then new public-housing for African Americans on Baltimore's west side. 

Detailed History

The 1926 Baltimore City Directory identifies John W. and Mary Jane Reed as living at 1002 McCulloh Street and John was listed as a chef. The 1930 census reflects the hardship of the Depression, listing John as a “cook” and the couple lived on McCulloh Street in a house that they owned.  Between 1938 and 1940, Mary Jane Reed used the house as a hotel and advertised in the Green Book. However, by 1940, the Reeds had moved to 667 Franklin Street because the McCulloh Street house had been taken to construct the McCulloh Apartments. On Franklin Street the Reeds ran the Honor Reed Hotel (see Honor Reed Hotel as a separate listing) at that location. In 1948, John Reed was killed at the Franklin Street hotel in a dispute with a guest who claimed that someone had stolen his wallet from his room. 

Related Issues