Scarletts Country Club

Known Name(s)

Scarletts Country Club


Afro-American described it as on MD 140, 1 mile north of Westminster, but 1946 deed describes it on Poole Road (or Myers Mill Road) which is on east side of Westminster south of Old MD 140 Westminster, Maryland

Physical Status


Detailed History

Built and owned by Austin Scarlett and his wife Ella, the club opened in June 1948 and attracted patrons from Baltimore, Washington and the Eastern Seaboard. Club stayed in business until the early 1960s (as reported by the Afro American Newspaper. In the early 1950s, Mr. Scarlett was convicted of numbers running, but appears to have avoided jail time. Use 905-749 Poole Road, Westminster for location.

Related Issues