Service Garage looking southeast at west facade and north elevation

The Service Garage was originally used as a stable, but by 1920 had been converted to automobile storage.

See larger version

Known Name(s)



1415 Etting Street Baltimore, Maryland

Establishment Type(s)


Physical Status



The two-story brick garage faces west at 1415 Etting Street.  It is clad in common American bond brick (header rows ever 7 rows), with five bays in two stories.  Some windows have been boarded over or filled in, but are characterized by triple arches.  Above the garage opening with a steel beam as a header it a wooden loft door.  Based in aerial photos, the roof appears to be partially missing. 

Detailed History

On August 5, 1952, Willie Adams and his associate, Askew Gatewood, described in the Afro-American newspaper article as “sportsmen,” auctioned off three limousines at the service garage in the 1400 block of Etting Street.  The garage owners or occupants were not named, but the garage description suggests that the building was used to house owners’ vehicles, rather than repairing them or providing fuel.  At the time both Adams and Gatewood faced charges of unpaid taxes and the federal government sought to recoop unpaid amounts.  

Related Issues