Stenson's


Buffalo Sanborn Map 1925 Vol. 2 sheet 157.

133 William St. Buffalo, NY

See larger version

"Buffalo Courier Express" newspaper announcing license to sell liquor given to owners William Stinson. Jr and Rufus J. Cameron.

October 3, 1951.

See larger version

"Buffalo Courier Express" newspaper story about owner William Stinson Jr.

April 17,1949.

See larger version

"Buffalo Evening News" story about owner Rufus J. Cameron.

February 27, 1943.

See larger version

Current Google Satellite view off 133 William St. Buffalo, NY.

Map Data 2024.

See larger version

Known Name(s)

Stenson's

Address

133 William St. Buffalo, NY

Establishment Type(s)

Liquor Store

Description

According to the 1925 Sanborn Map the building at this location was a two-and-a-half-story commercial building that had a narrow section near the back. This building was located on the south side of William St. between Michigan Ave. and Pine St. The business later moved across the street. The current structure at that location (134 William St.) appears to be from the early 1900s and is laid out as a typical liquor store. The building is one-story, with concrete block walls and a hipped roof. The fa├žade is of a different material than the other walls. It has an inset front door with windows on either side composed of a large fixed-pane center panel surrounded by glass blocks. The roof has asphalt shingles, and there is a chimney about halfway back the right side of the building.

Detailed History

The name Stenson’s is an error in the Green Brook. This establishment was actually Stinson’s. The Stinson’s Liquor store obtained liquor licenses at the 133 William Street location from at least 1947-1955. All these liquor licenses were granted to William Stinson Jr. and Rufus J. Cameron. Stinson’s Liquor store opened around 1946. Both William Stinson Jr. and Rufus J. Cameron were in the Navy in the early 1940s. William Stinson Jr. was appointed to the Buffalo Municipal Housing Authority in 1959 and held the position until 1965. Stinson’s moved to 134 William Street between 1955 and 1962 according to Green Book listings. The 133 William St. address is no longer associated with a building; the location is now in a residential area.

Related Issues