YWCA (Colored)


YWCA (Colored) Baltimore

The building was constructed at the northwest corner of Druid Hill Avenue and Dolphin Street on the west side.

See larger version

CYWCA Cornerstone looking west

The cornerstone is a white marble block that reads C.Y.W.C.A. Etablished 1897 1902 on the east face of the block.

See larger version

CYWCA Cornerstone looking north

On the south side of the marble block, W. E. Tilghman, G. M., A.F. & A.M., A.L. 5902 proclaims the Grand Master and Lodge number of the Masonic Lodget that completed the project.  

See larger version

Known Name(s)

YWCA

Address

1200 Druid Hill Avenue Baltimore, Maryland 21217

Establishment Type(s)

YWCA

Physical Status

Extant

Description

A 3-story, 3-bay red brick rowhouse from the late 19th century. It has a side hall entrance on the north end of the east fa├žade.  The windows are double hung sashes with single panes.  The front entrance has a decorative surround that is painted turquoiseand there is a metal awning frame above.  A cornerstone with the letters "C.Y.W.C.A" attests to its association with the YWCA.

Detailed History

The "colored" YWCA was established in 1896, and the cornerstone notes that it opened in 1902.  The cornerstone has the markings of a local Mason's group.  Until 1944, when the Madison Avenue YWCA opened, this building was the YWCA site for African American women.  Unlike the YMCA that opened in 1916, the building did not have a pool or other recreational facilities, and its primary function was to provide housing and meeting spaces for education and training.

Related Issues